Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The author of this book awakened me more than any other book.

It was 1984 when I heard Jonathan Kwitny give a luncheon speech at the Investigative Reporters and Editors National Conference in Miami. I was dumbfounded when he described what he had learned --- mostly through government sources --- about U.S. foreign policy. I had been to Central America the year before and I now realized that I was blind --- ignorant to what had been going on down there since the mid '50s. I returned to Guatemala, El Salvador and Nicaragua the next year and I saw things in a completely different way. When
I read the first edition of "Endless Enemies," I learned about similar U.S. involvement in Iran in 1953. I was astounded when I learned for the first time that the CIA had overthrown the country's democratically elected president and re-installed the previous dictator, the Shah of Iran. And there were so many other examples.
The first edition of the book has become a collector's item because it was actually recalled by the publisher as a result of a lawsuit brought on by one of the sources that Kwitny quoted. Subsequent editions included blank areas where the original information had once been. Either edition will enlighten you. It's sad that Kwitny died much too young. His death left a void that has been hard to fill. Needless to say, I recommend the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment